crime · Thestandard

Two held in Customs probe into Opatra retailer

about 2 hours ago2 MIN
Two held in Customs probe into Opatra retailer

Summary

Hong Kong Customs on Wednesday arrested two local individuals as part of an ongoing investigation into alleged unfair trade practices by a Hong Kong beauty retailer linked to UK brand Opatra London. The case has so far involved at least six complaints, with reported losses ranging from HK$1,800 to HK$100,000, while all four local branches have suspended operations.

Key Points

  • Customs said a 42-year-old male financial manager and a 25-year-old female administration manager were arrested on suspicion of breaching the Trade Descriptions Ordinance.
  • Senior investigator Leung Ka-ho of the Customs Trade Descriptions Unit said further arrests have not been ruled out as the investigation continues.
  • The probe followed a police report by a 58-year-old woman who alleged she was pressured into spending HK$60,000 at the New Town Plaza branch in Sha Tin last month.
  • Customs officers raided the company’s registered office in Sheung Wan and found it was a secretarial company with no business operations or staff present.
  • All complainants were reported to be middle-aged or elderly, and the Consumer Council said it had also received one complaint.

Why It Matters

The case is widening beyond a single complaint and could lead to further enforcement action if Customs finds evidence of systematic misconduct. For Hong Kong consumers, the suspension of all four branches in Sha Tin, Yuen Long and Causeway Bay means affected customers may now be seeking refunds, explanations or legal remedies.