world · Crhk

US Supreme Court Pauses White House Hall Work Ban

about 1 hour ago2 MIN
US Supreme Court Pauses White House Hall Work Ban

Summary

The US Supreme Court has temporarily let the Trump administration continue work on the White House ballroom project while the justices review an emergency appeal. Chief Justice John Roberts issued an administrative stay after lower courts had kept in place an order halting most of the construction.

Key Points

  • Roberts signed the administrative stay on Friday the 21st, a temporary step that gives the court more time to consider the government's formal request
  • The US government told the Supreme Court the White House ballroom project is necessary for national security and said the wider East Wing redevelopment is about 65% complete.
  • Earlier this month, the US Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit upheld a lower-court order pausing the White House ballroom project
  • The lawsuit was brought by the National Trust for Historic Preservation, which opposes demolishing the White House East Wing and building a large ballroom there
  • The Justice Department said the injunction would stop the entire underground and above-ground complex, including a high-security ballroom space the government calls essential

Why It Matters

The order is not the Supreme Court's final ruling, and the full bench will continue reviewing the administration's appeal after Roberts' temporary intervention. For Hong Kong readers, the case is a closely watched example of how US courts can still slow or temporarily enable major executive projects tied to security claims and historic preservation disputes.